Aside from being Raider fans, Chicanos are hard core Dodger fans. When Chicanos commit to a team, they do so 100%. Chicanos love to cheer, be loud, aggressive, obnoxious, and occasionally can get so caught up in the game, they may cry. Certain Chicanos like to especially partake in the games by gathering in the cheapest seats at Dodger stadium, the outfield Pavilion. It’s a place where real fans love and hate their team. These Chicanos won’t pay for expensive seats because “chale, that’s beer money,” because they are hard working blue collar fans with families who simply can’t afford $40 tickets, or because they are "keeping it real" while they get their A.A. from ELAC or their M.A. in Chicano Studies from CSUN. But, it is here, that you will find true blue Dodger fans. Nothing but brown people in the stands. You might find an occasionally lost white person in the mix that wonders how they ended up with those tickets. Cholo Chicanos can also be found in the nosebleed sections of Dodger stadiums, where most white people won’t venture.
Loving the Dodgers is not a simple thing to do within Chicano culture. For educated Chicanos, loving the Dodgers can also mean forgetting to hate the controversy of Chavez Ravine, the displacement of the many Chicano / Mexican-American families that were forcefully removed in one of the biggest schemes in Los Angeles history in order to build Dodger stadium and finally, embracing the American game of baseball. For the sports minded Chicano, loving the Dodgers includes recognizing that the Dodgers haven’t won a World Series since 1988; a sad, but tragic truth. Either way, both sets of Chicanos can agree that Dodger dogs and Coronas go hand in hand, Fernando Valenzuela was in fact one the greatest players of all time and that the San Francisco Giants, are in fact, evil.
If you find yourself attending a Doyers game and encounter either group of Chicanos, here are some things you should know:
- Don’t ask what “Los Doyers” means, you’ll just feel retarded.
- Jaime Jarrin is a legend in Dodger history and can give Vince Scully a run for his money on any day.
- Quickly google who Jaime Jarrin is on your iPhone.
- Fernando Valenzuela was in fact, the greatest Dodgers pitcher of all time.
- Manny Ramirez is a bad ass Latino player, but let’s not talk about the fact he is also black.
- Don’t try to sneak in beer to your cheap seats at Pavilion because security checks everything.
- You can however, take your own homemade ham or bologna sandwiches, or burritos wrapped in aluminum.
- Don’t ever bring up Chavez Ravine because you will just ruin it for everyone.
- If you attend a game, and are NOT a Dodgers fan and are crazy enough to wear the OTHER team’s jersey, make sure you sit with other white people, AND you change your shirt on the way to your car.
- Don’t blame all fan idiocy on Mexicans, because then you really will need an escort to your vehicle.
Orale! Now that you know the rules, have fun and enjoy this great American past time!